Monday, April 7, 2014

Franken Sheers & Splatter Stamp

The 80's have taken up residence on my nails this week.  I have no words for how happy this manicure makes me.  Personally, I feel like I haven't rocked a manicure this gnarly in a long time.  It's SO mondo.




I was totally inspired by  Punky Polish's phenomenal Watercolor Sugar Skulls manicure.  If you haven't already, you NEED to see it.  When I read that she made her own sheer tint polishes for this, I couldn't even contain my excitement.  I ran over to my stash and started yanking out jellies and a practically unused 2.5oz bottle of Beauty Secrets Hardener High Gloss Top Coat.  I poured some of it into five empty bottles that I had stashed in the back of the cabinet and then sent in a few drops of pink, royal blue, purple, green and yellow jelly-ish polishes.  It felt great to make that bottle of topcoat useful, since I never really liked it for topcoat.  I read somewhere that it does well as base coat, so I'll try that with the half bottle I have left.  

The results of my franken frenzy (pictures are clickable):





I hear that the OPI Sheer Tints have a really honey-like consistency.  These are really quite runny, but the effect was exciting.  I made my tints tintier than the OPI, purely because I couldn't believe that the pale cloudy solutions in the bottles would do a tinty enough job.  Turns out a little would have gone a long way, but I still REALLY like the result.  I don't mind that the final product isn't quite a sheer as the OPI.  I had the presence of mind to snap a picture before a splatter stamp leapt onto my nails :



I began with two coats of white creme.  I dabbed on the pink and purple corners first, then the blue and green corners and finished with yellow int he center.  The colours hadn't dried quite yet so they pooled together in acid-swirls and "moved" each other around just like watercolour!  SO HAPPY!


This is a snippet of my scrap paper.  I use white printer paper and paint on a bunch of colours and then stamp over with a bunch of different colours to see what I get.  Sometimes I will cover entire sheets with this.  I have even gone so far as to label a few.  Lower right:  I was trying to decide if I wanted to use the ampersands (BM-311) or the splatter (BM-416).  The competition was tight.  They are two of my favorite Bundle Monster images.

2 coats Pure Ice Superstar!
Dabs of all five franken sheers
Stamp: BM 416 Splatter and SH Hard as Nails Black Heart 
Seche Vite

The splatter won out by a smidge.  Can you see how the yellow overlapped with that pretty pink to make a peachy coral color?  ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Just for the record?  I still REALLY REALLY want to get my hands on the OPI Sheer Tints, because I think I will get an insane amount use out of them.  Check out Phoenix Beauty Lounge for some amazing ways you can use them!  

Thanks for peeking!
JQ


8 comments:

  1. Love this! The stamp pulls it all together perfectly! I totally missed the Punky Polish post but I JUST posted about duping the sheer tints. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! :D Your Franken Sheers are awesome!

      Delete
  2. I actually like your tints more than the OPI ones - which I have. Love the finished mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ABOP! I was recently gifted a set of OPI mini Sheer Tints, and I confess I like mine better. They will still get good use though because I love to do the full stamps over rainbow bases and this is a SLICK way to get that done. :)

      Delete
  3. I have seen that sugar skill mani and it's fantastic, but so is this! The colors and the splatter are just awesome ~ I also do a lot of testing on paper. I don't want to waste my time if it looks stinky on my nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Freshie! I love paper testing! I actually want to get some nail wheels too and try those out. Never used them before.

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! This is a very pretty mani. I love the color combos and the design. It seems that you really enjoyed doing this because of how it turned out. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the manicure, but love the info on how to make sheer tints frankens even more.. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Scribbles!